Very Berry Crisp (Gluten-Free, Vegan, Oil-Free)
This is a delicious, easy summer classic! You can use this recipe with any kind of fruit! I have made it will black raspberries (our absolute favorite, highly recommend) and a mix of strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. The pictured crisp was mostly black raspberries and a pint of blackberries. This recipe is also devious with peaches! Any way you make it, it will be delicious! This recipe is super simple and will be sure to impress!
You can top this with vanilla ice cream. We like Luna and Larry’s Coconut Bliss. Another great topping is coconut whipped cream. Grocery stores with a natural section generally carry it (you will find it in the frozen aisle).
This recipe is gluten-free (if you use gluten-free oats) and is naturally sweetened with fruit, maple syrup and coconut sugar. The almond meal gives the crust a nice nutty flavor without being overbearing. We make this crisp all summer long. It has become a staple and is so easy to make.
Serves 6. Prep 10-15 minutes. Bake 55 minutes. Toal 1 hour, 10 minutes.
Ingredients for berry filling:
5 generous cups of berries (rinse berries, if using strawberries, cut them up)
3 Tablespoons coconut sugar
2 Tablespoons arrowroot starch (can substitute organic or non-gmo corn starch)
1/4 cup water
Ingredients for crisp topping:
1 cup almond meal
1/2 cup finely shredded coconut
1 cup rolled oats (gluten-free, if needed)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set out a 9" x 9" baking dish or a round pie dish.
2. Add rinsed berries to the baking/pie dish. Add 3 T coconut sugar, 2 T arrowroot starch, and 1/4 C water. Stir thoroughly. Set dish aside.
3. In a medium bowl, add 1 C almond meal, 1/2 C finely shredded coconut, 1 C oats, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp sea salt and stir thoroughly. Add 1/2 C maple syrup to the mixture and stir thoroughly.
4. Drop the mixture by tablespoons on top of the berries and spread evenly. It doesn't have to be perfect! Some berries peeping through here and there make it prettier.
5. Bake for 50-55 minutes until golden and crisp.
6. Let cool on counter some before serving. It is best served medium warm to slightly warm versus piping hot. Serve with your favorite topping! We like Luna and Larry's Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream! It is a coconut based, non-dairy ice cream and it is delicious! Enjoy!