Chocolate Oatmeal Almond Butter Cookie Bars (gluten free, vegan)
These chocolate oatmeal almond butter cookie bars are non-vegan and non-gluten free hubby approved! Ha! They taste just as good as any version containing refined flour and refined sugar. Try them and let me know if you like them! This recipe is adapted from Megan Gilmore's (the Detoxinista) recipe named "Deep-dish Chocolate Chip Cookie" that is found in her "No Excuses Detox" cook book. Check out her website www.detoxinista.com for all kinds of free recipes and also check out both of her amazing cookbooks!
- 2 Tbsp ground chia seeds
- 6 Tbsp water
- 16 oz jar of almond butter (salt free and sugar free)
- 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 three ounce dark chocolate bars, chopped into small pieces (I used organic dark chocolate with almonds, you could also use 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips instead)
1. Line a 9 x 9 dish with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium to large sized bowl, combine the 2 Tbsp ground chia seeds with the 6 Tbsp water and set aside for 2-3 minutes.
3. To the chia mixture add 16 oz of almond butter and stir thoroughly.
4. Next add 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar, 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats, 1 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp pure vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp salt. Stir until well combined. This dough will be very thick. Add the chopped dark chocolate. Whatever variety you decide to use, it should be about 1 1/2 cups of chocolate. Work the chocolate in by chopping up the dough with your spoon.
4. Transfer the dough to your parchment lined dish. Press down evenly until the dough is distributed and is fairly flat on the surface.
5. Bake for 35 minutes until lightly golden around edges. Let rest for 30-60 minutes before cutting. The cooler they are the easier they will be to cut and serve. I only keep them on the counter for 1 day. If they last longer than this, please put in a sealed container in the fridge or you can freeze them for later use.